This the story of a golf that became a botanical garden of international stature.
In 1910, the site of 22-hectare in the heart of Vancouver was an isolated acreage of stumps and bush. It was owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway and was leased by the Shaughnessy Golf Club from 1911 until 1960 when the golf club moved to a new location. The railway proposed a subdivision, but was opposed by many citizens. In 1966, the VanDusen Botanical Garden Association was formed to assist the Vancouver Park Board with saving the site. This effort was successful and the land was purchased with shared funding from the City of Vancouver, the Government of British Columbia and the Vancouver Foundation with a donation by W. J. VanDusen, after whom the Garden was named.
The VanDusen Botanical Garden officially opened to the public on 1975. « Sur la Route du Patrimoine » visited it in December 2012. Even if it was the bad season to enjoy the plants and trees, we appreciated the architecture of the garden, its collections of native species, its labeling. We would love to visit again in spring!